2020 SMP PRESSCOMPOSITION COMPETITION
Recognizing the best music published on SMP Press
More than $10,000 to be awarded
Judged by editors and authors from top music publishers
LARGE INSTRUMENTAL ENSEMBLE
SMALL INSTRUMENTAL ENSEMBLE
ONE WINNER IN EACH CATEGORY
FOUR RUNNERS-UP IN EACH CATEGORY: $100 EACH
WINNERS & RUNNERS-UP
February 10 - July 31, 2020
Submit your original compositions and public domain arrangements on SMP Press
QUALIFYING SALES PERIOD
August 1 - September 30, 2020
Sell your original compositions and public domain arrangements on Sheet Music Plus.
By meeting or exceeding the sales minimum during the sales period, you automatically qualify for judging.
- Choral: $15
- Large instrumental ensemble: $15
- Small instrumental ensemble: $35
- Solo: $40
December 18, 2020
ONE WINNER IN EACH CATEGORY
4 RUNNERS-UP IN EACH CATEGORY: $100 EACH
WINNERS & RUNNERS-UP
All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name (Piano and Organ) -- Michael Ware
TOP SELLER AWARDS
The publisher with the highest sales in each competition category during the qualifying sales period:
How To Participate
Publish your work on SMP Press before the submission deadlines.
Sell your work on Sheet Music Plus, especially during the qualifying sales periods.
Automatically be entered to win.
Terms and Conditions
- The 2020 SMP Press Composition Awards are sponsored by Sheet Music Plus and its digital sheet music self-publishing platform, SMP Press.
- There is no entry fee.
- All submissions must be new items. No existing titles on Sheet Music Plus will be accepted.
- Sheet Music Plus reserves the right to disqualify a title due to copyright concerns, violation of contest terms, content deemed inappropriate, inappropriate pricing (for example, a set of score and parts totaling 100 pages for $12.99), or any other reason.
- All titles associated with this contest are subject to our SMP Press Terms and Conditions.
- This contest is open to composers and arrangers of all ages.
- There are no geographical restrictions for this contest.
- Composers can enter titles in more than one category to increase chances of winning.
- Closing date for popular music entries will be: April 30, 2020, 11:59pm PST. Closing date for contemporary classical music entries and sacred music entries will be: July 31, 2020, 11:59pm PST. After these dates no further entries to this competition will be permitted.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not accepted for whatever reason.
- The sponsors reserve the right to cancel or amend the contest and these terms and conditions. Any changes to the contest will be notified to entrants as possible by Sheet Music Plus.
- "Solo" refers to music written for solo instrument or voice and can include accompaniment by piano, guitar, piano/guitar or organ. In the popular music category, "instrumental ensemble" refers to music written for groups of instruments from duets through ensembles, except concert band, marching band, full orchestra and string orchestra. In the contemporary music category, "large instrumental ensemble" specifically refers to concert band, marching band, full orchestra and string orchestra, while “small instrumental ensemble” includes all other instrumental ensemble combinations. In the sacred music category, "instrumental ensemble" refers to music written for all groups of instruments from duets through band and orchestra.
- To qualify for judging, titles must meet or exceed sales minimums during the qualifying sales periods. Popular music titles must meet or exceed the following sales levels between May 1, 2020 and June 15, 2020: (1) choral: $60, (2) instrumental ensemble: $50, (3) solo: $50. Contemporary music titles must meet or exceed the following sales levels between August 1, 2020 and September 30, 2020: (1) choral: $15, (2) large instrumental ensemble: $15, (3) small instrumental ensemble: $35, (4) solo: $40. Sacred music titles must meet or exceed the following sales levels between August 1, 2020 and September 30, 2020: (1) choral: $20, (2) instrumental ensemble: $15, (3) solo: $15. Only contest entries purchased by someone other than the entrant or the entrant's immediate family members will count towards total sales.
- Category winners will be determined by editorial review conducted by publishing house partners: Hal Leonard in the popular music division, Universal Edition in the contemporary music division, and The Lorenz Company in the sacred music division.
- The Top Seller Awards will be given to the publisher with the highest total revenue across each category during the qualifying sales period: (1) popular music: May 1, 2020 - June 15, 2020, (2) contemporary music: August 1, 2020 - September 30, 2020, (3) sacred music: August 1, 2020 - September 30, 2020.
- All judging decisions are final.
- Winners will be notified as soon as possible. The sponsors reserve the right to extend the review period if more time is needed to select a winner.
- The winners agree to use of his/her names and images in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current privacy law.
- This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter, or any other social network. You are providing your information to Sheet Music Plus, and its service SMP Press.